What is “homebrew”?
Homebrew usually refers to software that is not authorized by Nintendo. It allows you to run homebrew games, tools like save editing and backup, and emulators for various older systems.
In most cases, running homebrew on your device is 100% free using the LetterBomb or Wilbrand exploit. There are also various other exploits in commercial games to get homebrew running.
What can I do with homebrew?
Here’s a list of things you can do with it. Our guide is meant for you to easily get started (and install RiiConnect24 and Wiimmfi, but we have links associated with the things on the list to help you get started.
- Use homebrew apps;
- Play games online again with Wiimmfi, a fan-made service which replaces much of Nintendo’s discontinued Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service (it works with many DS games too);
- Be able to use Wii Mail along with Forecast, News and the Everybody Votes Channel again with RiiConnect24 after the discontinuation of WiiConnect24;
- Load your Wii games from a USB hard drive using a USB loader;
- Play mods of games such as New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Mario Kart Wii;
- Be able to use cheat codes in games;
- Change the theme of your Wii Menu;
- Play retro games with emulators made specifically for the Wii - three good ones are FCE Ultra GX for NES games, Snes9xGX for SNES games, and VBA GX for Game Boy (Color/Advance) games;
- Backup your saves and Miis with SaveGame Manager GX, and restore other peoples’ saves and Miis too;
- Load GameCube games from a USB hard drive or SD card with Nintendont.
- Make 1:1 backups of your Wii/GameCube games with CleanRip.
- Backup and restore a copy of your Wii System Memory (NAND) with BootMii;
- Protect your Wii from bricks with Priiloader; (Download)
- Listen to music, watch movies and view photos with WiiMC, and watch YouTube videos with a special version;
- Launch your favorite homebrew apps from your Wii Menu with a “forwarder”;
- Participate in Mario Kart Wii competitions again using Wiimmfi Competitions
- And so much more that can’t be listed!