You need an SD card to create a NAND backup using BootMii. If you do not have one, you can skip this page, although it is highly recommended to create one if you can.
BootMii as boot2 is recommended, but only available to install on early Wiis. Otherwise, it can be installed as an IOS.
One of BootMii’s most important features is the ability to backup and restore your Wii’s NAND storage. We will be going over how to perform a NAND backup. You can then restore from that backup for whatever reason. It’s a good idea to make a NAND backup regularly or before doing something risky to your console (and if you know what you’re doing, you won’t have to do anything risky).
- An SD card with at least 512MB of free space
- Launch the Homebrew Channel.
Press the HOME Button, then select “Launch BootMii”.
Navigating BootMii is not possible using a Wii Remote. You must use the POWER and RESET buttons on your console, or a GameCube controller plugged into port 1. To navigate between options, press POWER on your Wii (or right on the +Control Pad on a GameCube controller). To select an option, hit RESET on your Wii or A on your GameCube controller.
If the screen stays black and the blue disc drive light is blinking, you are missing the BootMii files on your SD card. Download this zip and extract it to the root of your SD card, then try again.
- Select the Options button (the one with the gears).
- Select the BackupMii button (the one with the green arrow).
- A NAND backup will start. You can watch the progress on the screen.
- “Bad Blocks” are normal. Don’t worry when you see some on a NAND backup.
- After this step, it will verify the backup. While it is recommended, it can be skipped by pressing the EJECT button on your Wii.
- When the backup is fully complete, exit the NAND backup screen by pressing any button.
- To exit BootMii, press the Back button (the one with the arrow) and then you can press either the Wii Menu button or the Homebrew Channel button to exit where you want to.
Continue to Priiloader Installation Priiloader adds a level of brick protection, and we recommend it, especially if you were only able to install BootMii IOS.