Here’s a list of things you should and should not do once you’ve modded your Wii, to make sure you don’t brick it.
- DO make sure you’ve installed BootMii and Priiloader to make sure you don’t brick your Wii.
- DO make a backup of your Wii NAND regularly with BootMii, especially before doing something risky.
- DO install Wii Menu themes if you wish, but only use our tutorial for it carefully. (Wii / vWii). Other tutorials might be misleading and can cause you to brick your Wii.
- DO NOT install WADs of random IOS, older versions of the Wii Menu, etc. unless you know what you’re doing, especially not on vWii or a Wii Mini.
- DO NOT use old versions of Wii homebrew. If you follow Wii modding tutorials from the Internet, be cautious about using old tutorials (likely pre-2012), especially if they have to do with things such as IOS.
- DO NOT modify, rename, or delete random files on your Wii NAND unless you know what you are doing.
- DO NOT use the homebrew app “KoreanKii” on a non-Korean Wii.
- DO NOT Install any IOS or Wii Menu on a Wii mini other than d2xl cIOS. Doing so will brick your console if a Wi-Fi card is not soldered to it.
- DO NOT use any Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection replacement on your Wii except for Wiimmfi unless you have an RCE patch code. Unfortunately, other replacement servers are vulnerable to an exploit that can brick your Wii if you use them. An RCE patch code will patch the exploit. RiiConnect24 and WiiLink are safe to use as well.
- DO NOT restore NANDs from other Wiis to your console via BootMii.
- DO NOT use the homebrew app “Pimp my Wii”. The tool is dangerous and does things that can make your Wii unstable. The features of Pimp my Wii are available on other safer apps.
If you follow these guidelines, you won’t have to worry about bricking your Wii. Wii modding is safe, and bricks usually occur due to something done by the user that is on this list.
Continue to installing cIOS
cIOS are used to play games with a USB Loader. It’s also useful for many other homebrew apps.
If using a regular Wii, follow this guide to install cIOS.
If using a Wii mini, follow this guide to install cIOS